Civil Claims

A person can file a claim in the Magistrate Court if the amount of the claim does not exceed $15,000. This can be done with or without an attorney. You have to file the claim in the county that the person lives in. Filing fees differ in every county. However, in Jackson County the filing fee for a small claim is $96 for one defendant, $156 for two defendants. Once the person is served, they have 30 days to answer to the claim. If they do not answer after 45 days, a Default Judgment could be entered. If the court finds in your favor, the filing fee is awarded back to you.