The Jackson County Historic Courthouse is located at 85 Washington Street in downtown Jefferson. It as built in 1879 by M. B. McGinty of Athens at a cost of $11,123. The first court session was held in February, 1880.
In November 1906, the Board of Commissioners of Roads and Revenue of Jackson County began the process of repairing and remodeling the courthouse to include an annex. "There will be ten rooms downstairs. . . . and two large vaults on the first floor. The remodeled courthouse will have water works. . . and a large clock tower." The estimated cost: $20,000.
In March 1907, an additional vault was added to the sheriff’s office for "the use of the sheriff and clerk of the city court."
The brick addition was added in 1967. In 1977 Beeco Contracting Company was given the contract for the last major inside renovation, and, structurally, the building is pretty much what you see today.
Since the new courthouse was built in 2004, the historic building has remained empty, but maintained by the Building and Grounds Department. Earlier in 2007 the Board of Commissioners voted to set aside $2 million in bond funds for restoration/renovations.
Information obtained from Jackson County Historic Society