WEAPONS CARRY LICENSE
Applications are accepted Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00-11:30 a.m. and 1:00-3:30 p.m. only. The process takes approximately 25 minutes and includes a photograph and electronic signature. Fingerprinting and criminal background checks are processed by the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office located in the Courthouse.
Weapons Carry License Fee:
The cost for a new license is $79.25 if paying with cash, and $82.25 if paying with a debit or credit card. The cost for a renewal license is $35 ($30 for the permit and $5.00 for the background check), or $37.00 if paying with a debit or credit card. Checks are not accepted for Weapons Carry License applications.
You must apply in person at the Probate Court. An application can be downloaded here.
• You must be at least 21 years of age; except that applicants who are between the ages of 19 and 21 years of age are eligible to receive a Weapons Carry License if they:
o Provide proof that they have completed basic training in the US Armed Forces and
o Provide proof that they are actively serving in the US Armed Forces or have been honorably discharged from such service.
o Military applicants who are between the ages of 18 and 21 must provide their military ID and a certificate of completion of basic training. In addition, applicants who are actively serving must provide a current pay stub and current deployment orders. 18 to 21 year olds that have been discharged from the military must provide their DD214.
• You must apply in the county of your current legal residence. (Not where your business is, not where you own property and not where you work).
• You must provide a valid driver’s license or state issued ID with your current physical address.
• If your ID lists a P.O. Box instead of a street address, you must provide proof of legal residence in this county. Accepted forms of proof of residency are: a rent or lease agreement, a voter’s registration card, a utility bill, a paystub within the last 30 days, or a tag receipt/car registration.
• If you are a naturalized citizen; you must provide your certificate.
• If you are in the U.S. on a work visa or green card you must provide the appropriate paperwork, plus proof of residency in Jackson County for at least 90 days.
Weapons Carry License permits are issued for a period of five years. You can renew your current license any time prior to the expiration, or up to 30 days after.
Lost or Stolen Permits:
Lost or stolen permits must be reported to the Probate Court within 48 hours of the time the loss becomes known to the license holder. Lost permits can be replaced for a fee of $6.00. A name-based criminal record check will be run by the Sheriff’s office before a replacement license is issued. We can only replace a lost permit if it was originally issued in Jackson County.
Georgia reciprocates firearms licenses with the following states: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming
Please call 706-387-6286 if you have any questions.
Additional information can be found on the following websites: