WEAPONS CARRY LICENSE
Applications are accepted Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00-11:30 a.m. and 1:00-3:30 p.m. only. The process takes approximately 15 minutes and includes a photograph and electronic signature, which is now included on the license. New applicants will then go across the atrium to the Sheriff’s Office for fingerprinting.
Weapons Carry License Fee:
The cost for a new license is $77.50 if paying with cash, and $80.60 if paying with a debit or credit card. The cost for a renewal license is $35 ($30 for the permit and $5.00 for the background check), or $36.40 if paying with a debit or credit card. Checks are not accepted for Weapons Carry License applications.
Applicants must apply in person at the Probate Court. An application can be downloaded here.
Applicants must be at least 21 years of age; (except that) applicants who are between the ages of 18 and 21 years of age are eligible to receive a Weapons Carry License if they:
o Provide proof that they have completed basic training in the US Armed Forces* and
o Provide proof that they are actively serving in the US Armed Forces or have been honorably discharged from such service by presenting a DD14.
*Armed Forces is defined by Georgia law as active duty or a reserve component of the U.S. Army, U.S. Navy, U.S. Marine Corps, U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. Air Force, U.S. National Guard, Georgia Army National Guard, or Georgia Air National Guard.
o Military applicants who are between the ages of 18 and 21 must provide their military ID, in addition, applicants who are actively serving must provide a current pay stub and current deployment orders.
• Applicants must apply in the county of their current legal residence.
• Applicants must provide a valid driver’s license or state issued ID with their current physical address.
• If such identification has a P.O. Box instead of a street address, applicants must provide proof of legal residence in this county. Accepted forms of proof of residency are: a rent or lease agreement, a voter’s registration card, a utility bill, a paystub within the last 30 days, or a tag receipt/car registration.
• Non-U.S. citizens must provide appropriate paperwork that shows the applicant is an eligible immigrant or non-resident.
· An application is considered a renewal if the applicant’s Georgia Weapons Carry License has 90 or fewer days remaining before the expiration, or has been expired for less than 30 days, regardless of the county of issuance.
· Renewals will not be fingerprinted, but a name-based background check will be run.
· Applicants must provide a valid driver’s license or state issued ID with their current physical address.
· If such identification has a P.O. Box listed, applicants must provide proof of legal residence in this county. Accepted forms of proof of residency are: a rent or lease agreement, a voter’s registration card, a utility bill, a paystub within the last 30 days, or a tag receipt/car registration.
· Cost for a renewal Weapons Carry License is $35.00. We accept cash and credit/debit cards; there is a $1.40 fee to pay with a credit or debit card. Checks are not accepted.
Lost or Stolen Permits:
Lost or stolen permits must be reported to the Police or Sheriff’s office, and a copy of the police report is required. In addition, lost or stolen permits must be reported to the Probate Court within 48 hours of the time the loss becomes known to the license holder. Lost permits can be replaced for a fee of $6.00. A name-based criminal record check will be run by the Sheriff’s office before a replacement license is issued. We can only replace a lost permit if it was originally issued in Jackson County.
Georgia reciprocates firearms licenses with the following states: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.
Please call 706-387-6286 if you have any questions.
Additional information can be found on the following websites: