Skip to page body Home About Jackson County Government What's New Municipalities QuickLinks
Skip to page body Home About Divisions Sex Offenders Most Wanted

Weapons Carry License



Processing Applications:

Applications are accepted Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00-11:30 a.m. and 1:00-3:30 p.m. only. The process takes approximately 25 minutes; a photograph and electronic signature are now included on licenses. Fingerprinting and criminal background checks are processed by the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office located in the Courthouse.

Weapons Carry License Fee:

The cost for New or Renewal license is $79.25 cash or money order, and $82.25 if paying with a debit or credit card. We do not accept checks for WCL applications. This fee includes the charge for the background check by the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office.

Application Process:

You must apply in person at the Probate Court. An application can be downloaded here.

You must be at least 21 years of age and a permanent resident of Jackson County to apply. You must show identification with your current physical address. If you identification shows a post office box, you must provide proof of your legal residence in Jackson County. Acceptable forms of proof of residency include a Jackson County Voter’s Registration card or current tag receipt. If you are not a U.S. citizen, please call our office for further information.

Weapons Carry License permits are issued for a period of five years. You may want to come to our office at least 1 month before your current license expires to apply for a new license.

Lost or Stolen Permits:

Lost or stolen permits must be reported to the Probate Court within 48 hours of the time the loss becomes known to the license holder. Lost permits can be replaced for a fee of $6.00. A name-based criminal record check will be run by the Sheriff’s office before a replacement license is issued. We can only replace a lost permit if it was originally issued in Jackson County.


Georgia reciprocates firearms licenses with the following states: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming

Please call 706-387-6277 if you have any questions.

Additional information can be found on the following websites:

Last updated: 1/20/2014 10:29:15 AM