How to dispose of drugs when no Medication Disposal Day
Keep Jackson County beautiful plans a Medication Disposal Day each spring and fall, but we realize it may not be possible to attend a disposal day or a location may not be available. Please follow these guidelines when disposing pharmaceuticals at home:
1. Keep the medication in the original container and remove the label or mark your name and personal information off.
2. Add water or soda to dissolve solid pills or open capsules to empty content.
3. Add something inedible but binding such as kitty litter, sand or dirt to liquid medication. It would not hurt to do this to pills or open capsules.
4. Close the lid and secure with duct or packing tape.
5. Place drug bottles inside an opaque container - coffee can or plastic laundry bottle and the tape the container closed. Then place it in the trash.
Do not place it in recycling or with any food that could be scavenged by humans or animals.